STEP ONE: Moving Forward thru the course
STEP TWO: Moving Backward (in reverse) thru course
SCORING : Points are deducted for:
• Immediate failure = running over or knocking down a marker, removing cone or marker completely from its designated area or other dangerous action. (we suggest driving slowly thru the course - do not rush thru course)
• Bumping markers = tap cones or poles with out knocking cones over or off markers
• Misjudging stopping distance = need to stop with vehicle bumper at the rear or point cones - try to be no more than 1 foot past the point or rear cones - outside the course - see diagram
• Not parallel with test area = try to stop with vehicle reasonably straight with course not at angle
• Stopping to check progress = stop with front bumper at or just before start (rear) cones - stop when rear bumper is at or just past point cone - try not to stop in maneuverability course * (NOTE: stopping to adjust vehicle is less points off than hitting a cone)
SUGGESTIONS: SPEED, SPACING & STEERING
Move slowly thru the course - no time limit - this is a test of moving your vehicle in small spaces - such as parking lots, garage doors, drive thrus, moving around an object on side of road, or partially in the road, etc....
Try to center the vehicle when moving forward or backward of the rear (start) and front (center) cones and - allowing appox. equal spacing on both sides of the vehicle when in moving vehicle thru the course.
Keep close to the point cone - approx. 1 foot of space between cones and sides of vehicle.
Turn the steering wheel just enough to complete action desired - try not to over steer - which is steering too much OR under steer - which is not steering enough. AND TRY TO AVOID dry steering which is turning the steering wheel when vehicile is not moving forward or backward.
SPACE COMPARISON: MOST SINGLE GARAGE DOOR OPENINGS ARE 9 FEET WIDE.
MOST PERPENDICULAR PARKING SPACES ARE 9 FEET WIDE BY 18 FEET LONG.
Want to challenge yourself:
Stalled vehicle challenge - when stopped in traffic you should allow one car length between your vehcie and vehicle ahead of yours... Move from start position wth front bumper between rear cones and exit course by moving vehicle between rear and front cones going thru the side of the rectangular box created by the 4 cones marked as rear and front cones on diagram.
Parallel parking challenge - move from inside the rectangular box created by the 4 cones (front & rear) to outside the box similar to the move you did for stalled vehicle challenge - usually exit to the left for parking on right side of the street but why not practice both sides - stop with rear bumper next to front (cones in center of course) - NOW - Move you vehicle back into inside the rectangular box created by the 4 cones.
STEERING LEFT DIAGRAM.
STEERING FORWARD DIAGRAM
STEERING RIGHT DIAGRAM
STEERING REVERSE DIAGRAM
160 EVERETT AVE NEWARK OHIO 43055
DIRECTIONS: We are located on corner of Front and Everett Ave in Newark.
TOTEM POLE NEXT TO ENTRANCE @ 140 Everett is to the building to the left using same parking lot entrtance)
WALKING DISTANCE FROM THE SQUARE - DOWNTOWN NEWARK.
FROM SR 13 north or south come into downtown newark area to CHURCH STREET (turn east) stay on Church street past third, second and first street, cross over RXR track turn left onto FRONT STREET. From stop sign under the SR16 overpass - you are at FRONT & EVERETT AVE go straight into parking lot. See builiding from stop sign across the street to the right - that is QCDT.
FROM SR 79 coming south into NEWARK which is CEDAR STREET - turn right on to Everett Ave before RXR before SR 16 exit.
FROM SR 79 travelling north from Heath, take SR 16 east to 4th street - exit turn left onto CHURCH STREET. Past first street, cross RXR tracks turn left onto FRONT STREET, at STOP SIGN - see builidng across street to the right, this is QCDT.